Coverage across re-starts

Coverage across re-starts

Our automated testing involves stop and starting our service which means the coverage data is dumped on the first stop and the rest of the run id not included.

Is there a handy way to always have the process be started with NCover and to have the results across all of these merged into one results file\report as opposed to them being seperate NCover runs?

Thanks!

RE: Coverage across re-starts

NCoverExplorer can merge those multiple coverage files for you. Since NCover stores coverage information in the memory space of the service it's profiling, it cannot keep track of previous runs without storing them in a coverage file to be merged later.

Stephen

Thanks,

I did find the info about merging after I posted here's the link for others: http://www.ncover.com/documentation/explorerconsole/merging

I still have a question about how to handle stopping and starting the service or dealing with the service stopping and starting on it own (which ours does). Is there a way to make the service always start up in Ncover? I was thinking we could modify the service entry in the registry and replace the image path with the NCover command + the path to the binary, but that doesn't seem to be possible. The syntax for attaching NCover to the service (i.e., ncover.console //svc ) wouldn't work.

Any ideas? -p

peaboy,

NCover 2.1 doesn't support attaching to services that start and stop multiple times. We are working on an idea that will let people run NCover in "monitoring" mode, but that idea won't appear in the product until version 4 or so.

Stephen Ward

OK, thanks for the honest answer! We'll see what we can do within out testing to limit the restarts and reattach NCover.

-p