NCover and QTP

NCover and QTP

Sorry if reposting, but I thought I would start a thread geared specifically to address using NCover and QTP.

First question, would it be sufficient to only use NCover, QTP, and only my application (.exe) without pointing NCover to any source code? What value does this get me?

Thanks.

RE: NCover and QTP

Great question!

We have several customers using QTP in their QA process with NCover without looking at source code. Typically you'll want to share those results with the developers to get feedback on what areas could be better tested, but even without sharing those results with developers you can get two great benefits from running NCover with QTP:

1. You'll know what percentage of the project was tested, so you'll get a feel overall to how thorough your tests were.
  2. You can monitor trends to see how your set of tests is improving over time.

We are currently using NCover with our unit test and its working great. We use QTP as our web / UI tool and have not integrated with NCover yet.

Any suggestion on how that will work? We have multiple application deployed on IIS so not sure how straight forward it is to configure QTP and NCover.

Using QTP for desktop application seemed quite straight forward but how do we use it for web application?

Sujal

using QTP for web application testing you would set NCover up to run IIS (ncover.console //iis)

and start NCover before you start QTP. So start NCover first to cover IIS, and then start QTP to run the web tests (and make sure QTP doesn't restart IIS during the test run).

Can I use Ncover classic to get coverage data from QTP

You can use NCover Classic to get coverage data from QTP, as long as the application you're testing isn't a service or IIS application.