NCover, QTP, and QC

NCover, QTP, and QC

I am monitoring code coverage on an application that is exercised by QTP scripts, as follows:

• launch NCover fromt he command line, with the executable set to QTP, and a child process that is the application I'm monitoring.
  • when QTP launches it connects to QC. I manually open the test script I need, and run it. My app runs, and NCover records the coverage metrics. All good.

I would like to get away from having to manually open the test script, and I can't figure out a way to do this. I know I can use a VB script to launch QTP, connect to QC, and run the script, but that doesn't help me as I need NCover to launch QTP. Maybe there's a DOS command line parameter that I can supply to NCover that would provide the script name to run? The problem with that approach is that I need to get the script from QC, not just the local file system. Has anyone dealt with this before? I would appreciate any ideas...

RE: NCover, QTP, and QC

Do you need to have NCover start QTP, or can it simply monitor the child process/your application?

By this, I mean is covering QTP giving you some data you need?

I ask because some of the QTP users I've worked with don't need QTP to be part of the profiling chain, they just use it to run the scripts.

I hope this makes sense.

NCover Support

So then how would that work? Use NCover to launch my app, and then run QTP to drive the app? I don't need to get code coverage for QTP itself. I was just following the guidelines for integrating QTP and NCover. I had really hoped to automate the entire stream: NCover, QTP and my app, and reporting.

Yes, if you don't need QTP coverage, then NCover can launch your app and watch while QTP drives, but I'm not sure this gets you any closer to an automated solution.

The QTP part will still need to be automated, and that isn't changed by taking it out of the profiling chain.

Sorry I can't offer any specific advice for this scenario.

NCover Support