Truncate trend and historical coverage

Truncate trend and historical coverage

It would be very helpful to have the ability to truncate the trend and coverage files as they grow over time.

Even the ability to show a timeline against the generated reports would be useful or be able to label iterations.

Most of our projects have over a year's worth of trend/coverage data against the project which becomes rather obsolete once you summarise progress say annually but it seems rather extreme to have to just delete the lot and start from scratch.

RE: Truncate trend and historical coverage

How large has your coverage file become after a year of coverage?

Do you feel a switch that would remove coverage before a specific date would be helpful?

It varies depending on the project but a typical example is the coverage file around 4MB and the trend file is 140MB.

Sure a switch based on date or a time period would definitely be helpful.

Also as I mentioned being able to label certain coverage runs and have those labels visible in the trend coverage charts would also be very useful and to be able truncate to those labels would be a more natural method for me when managing software development projects.

e.g. something like this in my MSBuild scripts

<TrendLabel="$(BuildNumber)" Condition="'$(Configuration)' == 'RELEASE'" />

Thanks for your feedback, smackay. We're working on improvements for NCover 4 and this is one of the features we're thinking of including so it's easier to manage large coverage data collections. Please keep the suggestions coming, and stay tuned for NCover 4! Until then, we recommend that coverage with trending be done on a weekly basis for projects as large as yours. That should be all you need to accurately track trends, and can cut down on unnecessary coverage runs. Happy New Year!

Happy new year to you too.

Are there any timeframes or a pulished roadmap for the next release, I don't see anything on the site?

I'm flattered that you'd take the time to look. We're working hard to have it out sooner than later. =) And we'll be emailing NCover-grams when it's ready.

I've finally gotten around to creating an MSBuild task to truncate the coverage file based on execution dates. Hope this is ok.

Full details and code are available at http://www.wwwlicious.com/2011/04/truncating-ncover-trends-with-msbuild.html

looks good. Thanks for taking the time to do this, smackay.