Including Uncovered Assemblies

Including Uncovered Assemblies

I have a scripted build, where NCover is one part of the build. NCover is run over XUnit, and this works without a hitch. (An XUnit project file is built on the fly based on same naming conventions, etc).

I'm now expanding the effort, so that assemblies with no test coverage / test assemblies are showing up properly in the report, and I'm running into a couple of issues.

IncludeAssemblies doesn't seem to be working properly. When the solution is built, I create a list of built assemblies, then further massage this into a list of regular expressions per the documentation on IncludeAssemblies. I would expect NCover to analyze these assemblies even though xunit never tested against them.

I do get acknowledgement:

NCover Complete v3.4.16.6924 x64 Copyright (c) 2007 - 2010 Gnoso Inc. License Key: REDACTED Registered to Customer #: XXXXX for 1 Machine

Command: C:\Source\LegacyHub.Client.Master\LegacyHub.Client..\tools\xUnit.NET-1.7\xunit.console.clr4.exe

Command Args: C:\Source\LegacyHub.Client.Master\LegacyHub.Client\BuildArtifacts\TestResults\tests.xunit

Working Directory: C:\Source\LegacyHub.Client.Master\LegacyHub.Client\BuildArtifacts\Bin

Included Assemblies: EPS\.Hub\.Integration\.Client;EPS\.Hub\.Integration\.SampleApp

Excluded Assemblies: .Tests\.Integration;.Tests\.Unit;FakeItEasy;xunit;AutoMapper

Excluded Attributes: CoverageExcludeAttribute;System.CodeDom.Compiler.GeneratedCodeAttribute

But I still don't get the 0 coverage reported on the two assemblies that I'm expecting.

I have set the working directory to the location of the built assemblies and I've removed the file extensions per the documentation.

Am I missing something obvious here? (Note that the formatting of the post is getting eaten by your editor -- I tried to properly fix all instances of \. as they appear in the output, but may have missed one)

Thanks

RE: Including Uncovered Assemblies

I thought I remembered seeing something about this:

http://www.ncover.com/blog/ncover-the-modules-that-time-forgot/

It seems that IncludedAssemblies is only meant to act as a filter against the set of loaded assemblies.

While that certainly has it's uses, I'd like to see something integrated with NCover out of the box, so that I can just supply an assembly list or similar and run with it.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the solution proposed in the blog. Certainly NCover could find a way to generate coverage stats on assemblies in the list that never get loaded?

Any chance this will make it into v4?

Thanks!

Iristyle,

Thanks for your comments. You're right that having a simple selector for a list of assemblies would be a great feature. We're working on that for NCover 4. At the same time, it should be remembered that if your tests don't touch those other assemblies, you'll always see 0% coverage. Only code that gets exercised gets a coverage number higher than 0. That's the definition of coverage: exercised code.

Thanks again for the great feedback. We're working hard to make sure NCover 4 will knock everyone out of their chairs!

It would be great to see this feature implemented