ASP.Net Profiling

ASP.Net Profiling

Is there any basic documentation on how to profile an ASP.Net application?

I have the trial version of 2.0.2 installed (NCover-x86-2.0.2.msi), I run NCover, and choose IIS Website and nominate the bin directory. I then click run, the Output window says :

Press Control-C when you are finished to stop IIS and collect coverage data.

I load up my website and navigate to a few pages.

I press Control-C but nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?

Re: ASP.Net Profiling

I'm sorry to see no one has responded to my message on the 1st Nov about ASP.Net profiling. I have to assume therefore that profiling of ASP.Net applications is still not possible with NCover.

Looking forward to future releases that do!

Yeh, I'm getting the same thing. When nothing happened for a few minutes I tried stopping IIS manually and that does kick it into life but it throws me an error (below)

Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

NCover.Console failed to execute.

[quote="ruethewhirl":bec14]Is there any basic documentation on how to profile an ASP.Net application?

I have the trial version of 2.0.2 installed (NCover-x86-2.0.2.msi), I run NCover, and choose IIS Website and nominate the bin directory. I then click run, the Output window says :

Press Control-C when you are finished to stop IIS and collect coverage data.

I load up my website and navigate to a few pages.

I press Control-C but nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?[/quote:bec14]

Ok, made a bit of a brak through. The control C message is mirroring what you get in the dos command line version. The Ctrl C does work in the Windows Gui but it does work int he Command Line version.

I got the command to run from NCover Explorer - Run NCover - Generate - Command Line. Just had to take out the trailling '\' char from the //h command as it wouldn't run otherwise.

Hope that helps.

yeah, the NCoverExplorer gui is trapping the Ctrl-C command and failing to pass it along to NCover. this is a known bug and we are trying to find a good fix. In the meantime, services and IIS can be profiled through the NCover console application.

OK,

I also discovered, as thariss did above, that stopping iis with iisreset does cause a coverage.xml file to be output! Great.

BUT,

If I run my complete suite of Selenium tests on my site, then resetiis, I get no coverage.xml file, and the following message in the console:

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index

Any help?

ruethewhirl,

If you can, please send me the console output for NCover. If you don't want to post the output here, please email it to <!-- e -->mailto:support@gnoso.com<!-- e -->.

Another huge help would be for you to send me the coverage log from NCover. You'll use the //l [logfile_name] flag on the command line, or you can enter the path to the logfile you would like to create in NCoverExplorer.

Thanks!

Alan Johnson