Monitoring multiple services simultaneously

Monitoring multiple services simultaneously

I recently upgraded to v2.1.0 to fix a re-merging issue, and I encounted an issue while running my test suites. Several of my test suites start multiple WCF services using NCover.console.exe, and only the first one started successfully. I went back to v2.0.3 and my test suites worked fine. So, I installed v2.1.0 again and tried to troubleshoot. I narrowed the issue down to logging. If I turn on verbose logging (//v option) or set a profiler log filename for each NCover instance (//l option), all of the services start. If either of the logging options is used, NCover guarantees unique filenames for each instance of NCover.console.exe (if duplicated), such as coverage_1.log, coverage_2.log, etc. I'd prefer to do no logging, but those workarounds fix this issue.

I'm guessing what's happening is that NCover.console.exe uses "coverage.log" as the default log file, and it tries to log to that same file when multiple instances of NCover run simulateously without a logging option specified. The coverage.log file is probably locked or something to that effect.

Any thoughts on this issue?

Thanks,

George

RE: Monitoring multiple services simultaneously

George,

Your supposition is correct. When run with the //v or //l options, NCover checks for a locked coverage file, but does not do so when run without those options. I've created a case in our bug tracking system to get this fixed in the next version of NCover.

Regards, Stephen Ward