NCover and MSTest

NCover and MSTest

Hi All,

Could anyone please point me to documentation that details the steps to integrate MSBuild with NCover using MSTest. I have found a large number of documents on MSBuild with NCover using NUnit.

Is it just replacing NUnit.exe with MSTest.exe ?

Thanks Lakshman

RE: NCover and MSTest

generally, yes. integrating it into a build script takes a little more work.

Hi sporewell,

Thanks for your response.

Could you please direct me to suitable documentation to assist me with integrating NCover and MSTest with MSBuild.

Thanks Lakshman

for ncover and msbuild integration http://www.ncover.com/documentation/buildtasks#msbuild

also check out the "C:\Program Files\NCover\Build Task Plugins" folder on your machine for the msbuild task documentation.

Stpehen Ward

Hi Stpehen,

Thanks for your pointers.

I have successfully integrated MSTest with NCover, but I have a minor issue.

MSTest appears to fail (terminate) if any of the tests have an "Inconclusive" state. Using MSBuild "Exec Task" we have a ContinueOnError property, but the NCover Task does not have any such properties.

Are there any work around to this problem. ie use Exec Task for NCover, or have I got it wrong :)

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Lakshman

Lakshman,

The workaround would be to use the Exec task for executing NCover from your msbuild script

Stephen Ward

Hi Stephen,

I had the same problem described in the post below. http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?postid=3744594&isthread=false&siteid=1

I was able to use the work around described in the above Topic.

The issue I have now is, I have more than one project using MSTest and many more to come.

It will be a maintenance issue to include "all" the configuration information for the projects into a single MSTest.exe.config file under %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE.

Is there a feature/switch to instruct MSTest to load the configuration from an alternate "location". I can still maintain the configuration file as "MSTest.exe.config" but load it from a different location. eg project directory

I am aware of the element in MSTest.exe.config. This approach has two issues.

a) This element expects an absolute path. b) Still requires maintenance of the MSTest.exe.config under %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE. I agree that this is better than placing the whole configuration information in a single file.

I am hoping for a feature like MSTest.exe abcProj\MSTest.exe.config.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Thanks Lakshman

Lakshman,

Anthough an interesting problem, your question would be better directed at the MSTest team, or on Microsoft's help forum for MSTest

Stephen