NCover hangs when connecting to Profiler - 1.5.8

NCover hangs when connecting to Profiler - 1.5.8

Hi, I have many projects in my solution file and so I have a big command line with many profiled assemblies. All works fine, but when I add more and more project, there seems to be a limit above which I get timeouts.

Here is the log: Coverage Log: Coverage.Log Waiting for profiled application to connect...Connected Configuring Profiler... Unable to establish communications with the profiler. (0x6D)

Coverage.log: Method is already instrumented This line is present numerous times at some stage.

When I remove a few profiled assemblies it works again. There is no particular assembly that causes trouble (I tested removing and adding different ones), nor there seems to be a predetermined maximum number of profiled assemblies, I could not determine what is the nature of this limitation (# IL instructions ?)

So far, I'm blocked, I can't profile all my assemblies. Any help appreciated. Regards, vLabz

RE: NCover hangs when connecting to Profiler - 1.5.8

vLabz,

the limit you're hitting is probably the memory available to the process. NCover stores coverage data inside the memory space of the profiled process until the process finishes running, and sometimes that can be quite a lot of extra data. The "Method is already instrumented" error just means that the CLR is jitting some methods multiple times, it does nto affect coverage.

My suggestion is to split your coverage run into two -- one run coverage gets coverage on half your assemblies, and the second run gets coverage on the remaining half, or whatever percentage will run reliably every time.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen for your fast answer

I was wrong: there is no log file at all when the command line hangs.

It is not an option for us to run the coverage multiple times and merge the results, we don't want to run our tests multiple times on our build servers.

I tested the commercial version of NCover (2.1) and this issue seems fixed !

We are switching to the commercial licenses on part of our build servers (5 licences)

Do you have an idea about if this issue has been voluntarily fixed in the commercial version or if it is a "side effect" for the (good) work that has been done on it ?

vLabz,

The issue was probably fixed as part of the work done in 2.0/2.1. NCover 1.5.8 was never stress tested, and the internal testing improved drastically from 1.5.8 to 2.0

I'm glad that that NCover 2.1 fixes the problem!

Stephen Ward